Dating fraudsters are heartless criminals who mostly operate online to manipulate their victims.
The Bobby Van Stay Safe Online Team advise that you protect yourself from online dating fraud by following these simple tips:
- Get to know the person, not just their profile and ask plenty of questions. Don’t rush into an online relationship.
- Check the person is genuine by putting their name, profile pictures or any repeatedly used phrases and the term ‘dating scam’ into your search engine.
- Talk to your friends and family about your dating choices. Be wary of anyone who tells you not to tell others about them.
- Never send money to someone you’ve met online, no matter what reason they give or how long you’ve been speaking to them.
- Don’t move the conversation off the dating site until you are confident the person is who they say they are.
If you are aged over 60, or 18+ registered with a disability, the Stay Safe Online Team can help with free online safety awareness tuition and hands-on help and advice.
To make an appointment:
Call: 01380 861191